Pumpkin Spice Biscotti
How To Make Nutritious & Delicious High Protein, Nutrient Dense Biscotti
To Make Biscotti:
- A biscotti is simply a double baked cookie-like treat, usually with slight variations of the ratio of flour to sugar to eggs, etc. to make it come out nice and crisp.
- There are several ways to make Biscottis with superfood mix, and we’re still experimenting with them (since SFM has no sugar or flour, which are keys to getting the hard consistency of biscottis, it is a bit challenging to make them come out quite as hard & dry as a regular biscotti).
- We’ve made them both with and without eggs added (typically 1-2 eggs per cup of SFM used), it works out fine either way so try both ways to determine your preference.
- Simply follow any of the recipes given below or your own variations; spread the completed mix onto a large baking pan and shape it into a rounded, flattened loaf; use parchment paper or grease the baking tray to prevent it from sticking;
- Bake it until done (test with a toothpick) typically 25-35 minutes; allow it to cool;
- Slice the loaf into strips approximately 1-1.5 inches wide and lay them flat on the baking tray; you may need to re-grease the tray if not using parchment paper;
- Bake again at the same temperature for another 15-25 minutes (being careful not to burn or overcook them);
- Allow them to cool and they should turn out looking like a biscotti!
Pumpkin Spice BiscottiFollow the above steps using the following ingredients:
2-3+ cups of Pumpkin Spice Superfood Protein Mix;
Alternately you can use either the Naturally Sweetened-Unflavored Superfood Mix plus Cinnamon and Ginger to your taste preference or use the Unsweetened-Unflavored version plus Cinnamon and Ginger, and the sweetener of your choice; Add Cinnamon and Ginger at approx. 10% of the total Naturally Sweetened or Unsweetened Superfood Mix used in a recommended ratio of 3 to 1, adjust to your taste preference;
Optional: to boost protein content add 1 or more scoops of either P3-Paleo Pumpkin Seed Protein or P4-Peak Performance Plant Protein (obviously use the appropriate flavor of either); If Naturally Sweetened-Unflavored or Unsweetened-Unflavored are used, add the appropriate amount of additional spices;
Optional: if you want whatever you’re baking to rise a bit, you can add 1 tablespoon of Baking Powder per cup of SFM used and mix it up before adding other ingredients;
Optional but recommended: 1 – 2 shredded carrots;
Optional but recommended: 1 – 2 finely chopped, mashed, or blended bananas;
Options: Add more shredded coconut, raisins, &/or nuts if desired;
Optional if you’d like to add more slow-burning carbs: ¼ – ½ cup of oats per cup of mix used (be advised that oats are not Paleo);
Add approx. 1/8 – ¼ or more teaspoon of salt (sea salt recommended) per cup of mix used depending on your taste preference;
Mix it up and then add some water sparingly if needed (often there’s enough moisture from the bananas and carrots depending on how big they are and how many were used): add water just a few ounces at a time and mix to allow it to be absorbed; between ½ – 1 cup of water will be plenty in most cases;
The consistency should be that of a relatively thick batter, like a cake mix (see preparation videos on the website);
You may need to add a little more water (1-3 ounces), remember, it’s a lot easier to add water than it is to take it away, so add water just a tiny bit at a time, you can always add more if needed. That’s why we suggested starting with just a few ounces. The biggest mistake most people make is adding too much water which makes if very difficult to get the mix thick enough.
Place on the cookie or baking sheet and follow the general directions as outlined above.
Posted by Dr. Max MacCloud DO, ND, PhD
- Back to Recipes
- Biscotti Recipes
- Banana-Carrot-Walnut or Banana-Carrot-Pecan Biscotti
- Banana Blueberry Biscotti
- Banana Strawberry Biscotti
- Banana Walnut or Banana Pecan Biscotti
- Butterscotch Biscotti
- Carrot-Raisin or Carrot-Cinnamon-Raisin Biscotti
- Carrot Banana Biscotti
- Chocolate Biscotti
- Chocolate Coconut Almond Biscotti
- Coconut Almond Biscotti
- Gingerbread Biscotti
- Peanut Butter Biscotti
- Pumpkin Spice Biscotti
- Salted Caramel Biscotti
- Vanilla Biscotti